AFPL vs. GPL-like licenses?

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Jan 17 03:20:49 UTC 2001

On Monday 15 January 2001 11:53 pm, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> > Well, yeah! One big implication of using the AFPL instead of the
> > GPL is "why
> > should I contribute to your code when I am not allowed to profit
> > off of it?"
> >
> > --
> > David Johnson
>
> You're still _using_ it. Whether you contribute or not.

By contributing I am increasing am increasing the (potential) profits of
the authors, while at the same time the author prevents any profits to me.
I'm not asking for equal profits, or even profits proportional to my
contributions. Just the opportunity for it.

Oh, I'll still _use_ the program, and I might even contribute a bug fix if it
annoys *me* enough. But I won't consider helping out on the project if I'm
treated as second class.

--
David Johnson