IPL as a burden

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Jan 16 03:21:30 UTC 2001

On Monday 15 January 2001 09:18 am, Mark Koek wrote:

> > We see no other possibility than enabling people to charge money for
> > sources without violating the basics of OpenSource:
>
> There is nothing in "the basics of OpenSource" that stands in the way of
> people asking money for their software.

Trolltech stumbled upon a nice Open Source money-making scheme. Open Source
for Open Source developers and closed for closed source developers. This
won't work for end user applications, but it's dandy for tools.

If charging for support is not economically viable (and with quality
applications it won't be), then think about releasing two versions, one as
open source and the other a closed "value-added" version. Examples of this
include Trolltech's X11 versus Windows versions, Aladdin's new versus old
releases, and Netscape's Mozilla versus Communicator.

--
David Johnson