What is Copyleft?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 22 18:54:20 UTC 2001

begin Ryan S. Dancey quotation:

> Here's a question I thought I'd never have to ask.
> What is a Copyleft?

Your underlying point is well-taken, and perceptive:  RMS's recent usage
of the term indeed appears to depart from its prior (and customary)
meaning, in objecting to the ability to link to non-free code.

Here is FSF's answer to your question as posed, from
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html :

"Copyleft says that anyone who redistributes the software, with or
without changes, must pass along the freedom to further copy and change
it."

--
Cheers,                                Before enlightenment, caffeine.
Rick Moen                              After enlightenment, caffeine.
rick at linuxmafia.com