Two GPL Questions

Justin Wells jread at semiotek.com
Wed Dec 12 05:55:28 UTC 2001

You might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

I see the value of wanting to be able to move to a new GPL without
having to consult each individual contributor to your code base.

I also see the fear in handing over to the FSF authority to relicense
the work that you've published.

A reasonable compromise might be:

    "or any later version which has been approved for use by XYZ"

where XYZ is the leadership of your project. Contributors would then be
assured that anything they submit will always be under an FSF GPL, and
you will be free to move to any later FSF GPL if it suits you better,
without having to consult each individual contributor.

Justin