Does "modification" include translation to another HLL?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 7 19:09:41 UTC 2001

Thanks, this and all the other responses makes sense.

My code is actually just yet-another-engineering of the well-explored
area of constraints, and once people see the /functionality/ of my
system I am sure they could reproduce it code unseen. That I would not
mind. But I think there would be enough subtleties to the implementation
that finding similar subtleties in a parallel effort developed after my
code was GPLed could raise eyebrows.

An interesting question to me if not the court would be whether an
alleged infringer could provide a developmental history showing
progressive refinement of their code. I went through about a hundred
versions, and I am changing the system again now. I have backups from
every week over three years of development, and would expect to see
something similar from someone claiming to have hit onthe same
algorithmic nuances independently. I have no doubt someone else could
independently come up with the same algorithms; the problem shapes the
solution, so if we are working on the same problem... again, it just
would be suspect if someone said they hit on the same ideas without a
developmental history demonstrating refinement over time.

thx again for all the input.

kenny
clinisys