GPL and LGPL libraries.

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 6 09:46:43 UTC 2001

on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:41:46PM -0600, Mike Crawford (mike at tuxnami.org) wrote:
> I seem to have a licensing problem thiat is really giving me a headache.
>
> I want to port SDL, which is licensed under the LGPL, to QTe's display
> methods (QTe is the embedded QT library by TrollTech).  QTe is under the
> GPL.
>
> I don't think I can directly link SDL to QTe because of the GPL, but I'd
> like to know if I can use shared memory, Unix domain sockets, or some
> other IPC to communicate between the two libraries.

Software licensed under the terms of the LGPL may be relicensed under
the GPL:

    GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
    Version 2.1, February 1999

    <...>

    3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public
    License instead of this License to a given copy of the Library.  To
    do this, you must alter all the notices that refer to this License,
    so that they refer to the ordinary GNU General Public License,
    version 2, instead of to this License.  (If a newer version than
    version 2 of the ordinary GNU General Public License has appeared,
    then you can specify that version instead if you wish.)  Do not make
    any other change in these notices.

    Once this change is made in a given copy, it is irreversible for
    that copy, so the ordinary GNU General Public License applies to all
    subsequent copies and derivative works made from that copy.

    This option is useful when you wish to copy part of the code of the
    Library into a program that is not a library.

IANAL, TINLA, YADA.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/