Is the "Guile" license OSI approved?

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Dec 1 02:54:07 UTC 2001

On Friday 30 November 2001 02:46 am, David Woolley wrote:
> Martin Wolters [martinw at atc.creative.com]  wrote:
>  > You can find a few open source projects on the web that use the so
>  >
>  > called "guile license" which is the GPL + the following paragraph:
>  > >     As a special exception, if you link this library with other files
>  > >     to produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause
>  > >     the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but, if this quote is correct, I believe it is badly
> drafted,
> as it appears to leave such derivative works without any licence at all and
> therefore illegal.

Not at all. The exception only means that the license does not apply to
certain works. It does not say that those works cannot have any license at
all. In the case of an executable linked to a shared library, merely look at
the license of the executable. The shared library will still be under the
"guile" license.

--
David Johnson