approval time

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Aug 13 15:55:53 UTC 2001

Sytze van Koningsveld writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Does someone know how much time - on average - it takes for a new license to
 > be approved by the OSI ?

It depends on how controversial it is.  If it's something like the
X.Net license, where it's a relatively trivial change (specifying
jurisdiction on a BSD license), we can approve it quickly.  If it's
something controversial like the APSL, it can take months and months.

In the end it comes down to how easy you make it for us.  Right now we
require that you state (privately) why you need a new license and what
problem you believe it fixes, and what already-approved license it is
closest to.

I'm the V.P. of OSI.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |