GPLv2 'web-app loophole'

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Aug 10 01:54:36 UTC 2001

On Thursday 09 August 2001 06:07 pm, John Cowan wrote:

> There is the question of whether the HTML generated by the program is
> a derivative work of the program, which depends on how the program is
> implemented.  If so, then OtherCo has surely copied *and distributed* it.

That's a tricky situation. It all depends upon the implementation and the
nature of the program.

At one time, there was a myth that using gcc would cause all resultant
executables to be under the GPL, so a lot of commercial developers stayed
away from it. Now that we are out of the Dark Ages, we can look back on that
as a silly medieval superstition.

Let's not resurrect that ancient superstition.

--
David Johnson