GPLv2 'web-app loophole'

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Aug 7 03:42:35 UTC 2001

This sounds like "much ado about nothing." As is well-known, software is not
an easy fit within copyright doctrine. I am unsure whether there is a
relevant distinction between "use" and copy as far as software is concerned.
Copyright interests are invoked when one "uses" software as long as the
prevailing view is that a RAM copy is a *copy* as that terms is defined and
understood by reference to the Copyright Act. Hence, I doubt whether an ASP
or a "web-app" presents a case for a loophole in the GPL.

Rod