Now I'll do it myself: OWL R1

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 28 23:07:38 UTC 2001

on Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 08:04:40PM -0000, mirabilos (eccesys at topmail.de) wrote:
> Now I will post the license I developed for my own work by myself, after
> I found a name for it:
>
>     OWL Release 1
>     the Open Work License
>
> because it doesn't just cope code but also docu and my websites...

I'm going to repeat a suggestion I've made here before:

As past submission candidates have been advised, OSI is a volunteer
organization, and the submissions process is slow.  I'm not a member of
OSI or the submission process, and don't speak for either, though I'm
one of several folks who comment on this list.  I'm also inclined to
believe that a slow queue process isn't a bug.

I've also suggested in the past that the following might be helpful in
processing submissions:

  - A synopsis of your license.

  - An exhaustive analysis of existing licenses (particularly the GNU
    GPL, GNU LGPL, BSD, MIT, and Mozilla Public License), and the
    reasons for which thesse are deemed inadequate.

  - A statement of goals for the project.  I tend to see these myself
    largely as ideological (you strongly believe in free software),
    technological (you're promoting a standard or protocol, e.g.:  BIND,
    Kerberos, Apache), or free-software+business (such as the Mozilla
    project, which uses the Mozilla browser as a platform for additional
    commercial development).

> I'll give it here without comment first, just plz have
> a look onto it and - if you can spend some more minutes - discuss with me.
>
> (The last line is a CRC, the file is exactly 2kB, and
>  the semicolones (yes I can latin) are for NASM. I put
>  it into file LICENSE or - if I just have one source
>  file in (my most used) assembly, at top of it).

What is NASM?  I assume it's some automated machine-readable standard
markup format.

This list is not subject to NASM parsing rules.  Format your submission
for maximum human legibility, preferably under monospaced font email
systems.

My own (non-legal) quick read is that this license simply doesn't parse
as English, and doesn't appear to follow good legal construction.  There
is inconsistant and unclear usage of language.  The last two sentences
are troubling.

My suggestions:  Fix these problems, have your license rewritten, and
have someone fully conversant in English submit it to this list with a
cogent response to the suggestions listed above.  Until these issues are
addressed, the license doesn't merit my further study.

Speaking for myself only.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/