copyrightable APIs? (was RE: namespace protection compatible wit

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Apr 20 18:35:50 UTC 2001

Chloe Hoffman wrote:

> I think the real question is not whether an API is copyrightable but how
> an API is infringed and what is a derivative work of an API.

I agree.

We now know that a house infringes its blueprints, but a cake
does not infringe its recipe, so there is no general answer to
the question "Does an implementation infringe its specification?".

Sounds like Brian is doomed to a life of uncertainty, until there
is a test case.

Disclaimer: IANAL.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>