namespace protection compatible with the OSD?

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Thu Apr 19 21:34:22 UTC 2001

OK, so we have two new analogies to implementing an API, that of "baking a
cake from a recipe" and "that of building a house from blueprints".  I
still think the line between that and "write a novel based on a
Shakespeare play" is not defined.  What is the relevant case history,
especially in the field of software?  If we can find a precedent for or
against, we have an answer w/r/t the likely way a judge would rule.  And,
if it's true that a copyright on an API can't restrict the rights to
implement it, then my life becomes a lot easier.  =)

	Brian