OpenLDAP license

Derek Seabury Derek.Seabury at speechworks.com
Thu Apr 12 19:44:06 UTC 2001

Derek Seabury wrote:

>> The MPL, for example, explicitly allows software executables to be
>> distributed under a license other than the MPL (MPL section 3.6). So it is
>> perfectly possible to contemplate, say, a binary Mozilla distribution
>> being distributed under a license prohibiting redistribution of the
>> binaries.
>
> This isn't true.  MPL 1.1 section 3.2 states:

Ooops.  It is true...  Thought I read source.  So yes, you could prohibit
people from distributing the
binaries but allow the code to go out.  And in turn, anyone who got the code
could compile it and
distribute the binaries freely... so it doesn't seem to be a 'very bad thing.'

--
Derek.Seabury at SpeechWorks.com
(617)428-4444

May 2 is Global Speech Day! Join the First-Of-Its-Kind Web Event about
speech recognition technology. Hear industry experts. Access the largest
volume of information ever assembled on speech -- its powerful business
benefits, its future and more. Information and registration at
http://www.globalspeechday.com