OpenLDAP license

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Apr 9 20:13:33 UTC 2001

On Tuesday April 10 2001 02:40 am, Ryan S. Dancey wrote:
> OSD #2:
>
> "The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
> source code as well as compiled form. "

You forget to add: "Where some form of a product is not distributed with
source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source
code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost-preferably, downloading
via the Internet without charge."

Since this license appears on the very same site where I can download the
source code, it counts. I haven't searched thoroughly, but I suspect that the
documentation gives a location where to get the source code if it isn't clear
enough.

The specific instance of the program must have available source code. But not
*all* instances of the program need to have the source code available. Open
Source != Copyleft. If OpenLDAP disqualifies as Open Source because of this,
then we'll have to throw out about a third of the OSI approved licenses.

> And if "due credit" means "money", it violates #1 as well.

It's pretty clear that "due credit" in this context refers to attribution.

Although this isn't on the OSI list of approved licenses yet, I suspect that
it will be. There is nothing here that I can see that would disqualify it.

--
David Johnson