What license to pick...

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Sep 30 03:00:24 UTC 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, flash gordon wrote:

> GPL does not prohibit commercialization, it protects it.
>
> Personally I think that is a major flaw in the GNU/GPL concept of
> 'freeware' - I think the term 'freeware' should be reserved for software
> that is both free of restrictions on modifications and use AND free of
> charge/cost [except for nominal media and copy costs].  GPL should better
> be referred to as 'full use' software, in contrast to the typical
> commercial 'limited fair use' copyright restrictions.

Although all GPL software is indeed "freeware", it doesn't explicitely
have that concept. In fact, GNU greatly prefers that people don't refer
to their products as freeware, partially because of the potential
commercializatin, and partly to disassociate itself with proprietary
freeware (internet explorer, etc).

> Were I to release code for the public good and access, I would resent it
> highly if someone assimilated it, packaged it and marketed it, and making
> thousands or even millions in the process.  And if that were to happen, I
> think I would be reluctant to be altruistic and release more code pro bono.

As one who uses even less restrictive licenses than the GPL, let me
come to their defense :-) You are not sharing if you deny people the
ability to profit off of what you have given them. If I give someone a
sandwich, I certainly expect them to profit nutritionally. If the user
does not profit is some way from my software, than I can only consider
my software a failure.

To take a concrete example, if I share a financial planning software
package, and the user proceeds to make $100,000 through its use, why
should I quibble over the fact that he sold a copy for $50?

One of the reasons I hear against commercialization of free software is
exploitation: the user has profited without giving anything back to the
author. But what about the case where I give a case of fine wine to a
friend, and he proceeds to through a wonderful and joyous party, to
which I was not invited? Have I been exploited because he did not offer
to me a part of the enjoyment (profit) he received from my wine?

I can certainly understand you not wanting others to profit off of your
work. GNU has other concerns which is why they use the GPL to restrict
how people may redistribute their software. I am concerned neither way
and impose minimal restrictions on my software. Neither of these
viewpoints are correct for everyone.

--
David Johnson