simpleLinux Open Documentation License (sLODL)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 29 22:04:18 UTC 2000

begin SamBC quotation:

> Only one I saw was GNU FDL which was even less simple, and had some
> clauses I disliked.

It strikes me that writings in electronic format, that you want to be
distributable that way, fall roughly into two categories: ones that
express your personal views and that you therefore want to remain
unchanged, and ones whose further modification you want to encourage.

For the former, I use:

   Copyright (C) 2000 by Rick Moen, rick at linuxmafia.com.  Verbatim
   copying, distribution, and display of this entire article are
   permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

(http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/essays/newlug.html , for example.)

For the latter, I use the modified GPL terms described at
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/nonsoftware-copyleft.html :

   Copyright (C) 2000, Rick Moen, rick at linuxmafia.com.

   This information is free; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
   under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
   (at your option) any later version.

   This work is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

   along with this work; if not, write to the Free Software
   Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

(E.g., http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients , which is
-- free plug -- the most comprehsive list known of SSH software for
all platforms.)

As author Michael Stutz says:  'The GNU GPL references the "source code"
of a work; this "source code" will mean different things for different
kinds of information, but the definition of "source code" -- provided in
the GNU GPL -- holds true in any case: "The source code for a work means
the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it."'

Just a couple of options to consider.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm