Proposal for OSI Certification: The SteelBlue License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Sep 9 01:48:03 UTC 2000

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000, kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > 5.  TERMINATION.  In the event of any default or failure of User to
> >     abide by the terms hereof, this license may be revoked by TCG
> >     without prior notice and all rights granted hereunder rescinded.
> >     In the event of such revocation, the Program and all copies
> >     thereof however stored and on all media, temporary and permanent,
> >     shall be returned to TCG or destroyed or otherwise disabled by
> >     User.  Upon request User shall provide sufficient evidence of
> >     compliance said obligation.
>
> Unilateral termination language is generally not favorably received.
> You can yank rights at any time.  Sorry, I won't play.

I think you have misinterpreted the clause. The way I read it, they can
only yank rights away if the user does not abide by the license. This
isn't unilateral, it can only happen through specific action by the
user.

Although I don't like how they can terminate usage rights. It would be
much better if only distribution rights were terminated upon license
violation.

--
David Johnson