Qt and the GPL

kmself at ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 5 07:18:04 UTC 2000

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 01:29:36AM -0500, Nelson Rush wrote:
> Are you kidding? The fact that Sun is actually going to, let alone actually
> considered to, release Star Office under the GPL is more than a mere, "How
> do you do?" It's quite astounding, and in fact quite improbable.

StarOffice is not Solaris.  It isn't even Java, by a long shot.

Yes, release under the GPL is very noteworthy.  Dual (actually triple)
licensing under SISSL, GPL, and LGPL is more so.  But there is a
distinction I'm making between acceptance of the license in a corporate
sense and betting the fscking farm on it.  Sun's adopted.  The farm
remains to be bid.

> And if you think that Star Office isn't that important to Sun I think
> you're wrong. They want to compete directly with MS Office, I think
> this is why they chose to GPL it.

But they're building, not risking, a market in doing so.  Troll is
putting the business on the line.  Sun is lifting a finger to MSFT.  The
goal *isn't* competition in the Office market, it's destroying MSFT's OS
market.

> I think they knew that for SO to be widely popular they had to
> distribute it quickly.

Agreed.  Common knowledge.  Testimony during MSFT v. DoJ:  New consumer
software must distribute 1m copies *free* to gains sufficient mindshare
to produce a viable market.

> Also, consider that major profits can still be made off it even though
> people have the right to redistribute freely.  RedHat, etc., point in
> case.

Disputed.  SO is worth more in SPARC sales than it is in SO boxed sets,
by orders of magnitude.

And the Office Suite is Dead (tm).  A posthumously written essay of
mine.  Key point:  the suite served a marketing problem (how do I sell
mediocre SW bar and baz with decent SW foo, and cannibalize my
competition's market at the same time -- see _Information Rules_ by
Shapiro and Varian (http://www.inforules.com/) for more information on
tying and bundling).

When the product is no longer monetized, the bundling is no longer
strategic.  Sun's first architectural announcement WRT SO was that they
were disaggregating it -- pulling out the desktop and making it seperate
apps.

> I also think they saw the value in embracing free software, since it
> gets a company noticed by the techies at large.

Yes.

> And, last but not least it gives them leverage in the Gnome open
> office effort.

Yes.  Pity as IMO AbiWord is the better designed project (KISS).

> In addition, I'm sure there are workers at Sun who really like free
> software. They probably use a great deal of the stuff.

I know several of them.  Similar sentiments to those expressed
elsewhere:  "My first allegience is to foo technology, Sun just pays the
bills".  I've heard that from a number of sources, both at Sun and other
companies.  And the companies acknowledge this.  The big current fight
is Java licensing.  Solaris is next after that.  Event dates are likely
targets, mark ALS and LWE/New York on your calendar.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself