Plan 9 license

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Mon Sep 4 06:20:22 UTC 2000

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, David Johnson wrote:

> Another 18th century term for property was "pursuit of happiness".

Unlikely.  "Happiness" in this context almost certainly means "public
happiness", the participation in republican governmental institutions.

> "right of property" is a dangerous concept, meaning that someone else
> can be compelled to hand over their property to you, whereas the right
> to pursue property  means that you can use voluntary means to acquire
> property but cannot coerce it from anyone.

Coercion, like property, can only be defined within the context of a
specific legal system.  It has no natural existence.

>  But another definition of property is that it can be defended
> and controlled through voluntary means. In terms of land ownership, it
> can be defended and controlled in the absence of trespass laws through
> the use of locks, fences and guards. Likewise, information can be
> defended in the absence of IP laws through encryption, registration and
> time limitations.

Hmp.  Just try defending property rights in -- or even the existence of --
stock certificates in the absence of a legal system.

> Since information has been created by the author and
> can be defended by the author, it counts as a form of property.

IP rights only become significant when the content *is* publicly
known.  Secret books aren't that useful or profitable.

> But even if the copyright laws were repealed tomorrow, software
> developers can still privately protect their works.

Indeed, the copyright license for closed-source software is no problem:
"All rights reserved".  Since you do not own the software anyway,
your other rights don't exist.

> What I find most interesting though is the relationship between Free
> Software (as the FSF defines it) and property. By licensing Free
> Software, ownership over it *is* asserted. If no one should have the
> right to regulate how I distribute or modify their works, then why
> don't I have the right to distribute a binary-only modification of
> emacs?

"To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights."
	-- the GNU GPL

> Or if copyright is the only thing holding back software from
> being free, why isn't my public domain binary considered Free Software?

You cannot create a "public domain binary" of a copyrighted work, since
it is a derivative work and you cannot dedicate it to the public domain
(even assuming that it is possible to do so at all).

> Getting back to freedom as I finish off this rant, tell me how I am
> denying you life, liberty or property when you have voluntarily and of
> sound mind purchased my proprietary and closed source software, knowing
> full well in advance that you would not be able to modify and
> redistribute it? How can I possibly be coercing you if the exchange was
> completely open and voluntary?

If it were *completely* open and voluntary, you couldn't.  Few transactions
actually meet that standard.  Typical shrink-wrap contracts are
not only contracts of adhesion ("take it or leave it") but are not
even known to you until you have purchased the software.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
"[O]n the whole I'd rather make love than shoot guns [...]"
	--Eric Raymond