Plan 9 license

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Sun Sep 3 20:06:30 UTC 2000

Well,
I'm not a native english speaker,
first fault.
I learned british english in scholl,
second fault.

> On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Angelo Schneider wrote:
>
> > To copy without the authorization of the creator, denies the freedom
> > of the creator.
>
> This is incoherent on any known definition of "freedom".
freedom means to be free to do and to let do what you want.
I do not know of any other definition.

[...]

> > It is moral wrong to make unauthorized copies as it it s moral wrong
> > to denie the physical freedom of one.
>
> You're entitled to devise your own moral code, of course.

Sure, do you agree or not, would be more interesting to me.

> > Free Software is a nice idea, but not the solution. It simply
> > floddes the market with so much software that stealing is no longer
> > a reasonable action of one who likes to use the software.
>
> Solution to what?

To the problems RMS wans to address with the FSF.

> Anyway, free software cannot be stolen except by
> breaching the license.

I'm not talking about "stealing" free software.
I'm talking about stealing any intellectual property from
an inventor/autor/creator against his will AND without
refunding.

This is regardless wether I breach the FSF license or if
I copy a CD from a friend.

> > If you invent the one and only intergalactic starship drive, you
> > will make your knowledge free.
> >
> > One will build that ship with that drive.
>
> Why only "one"?  If you make the information publicly and freely

In britisch english one means "some one", "some body" and does not
mean 1 person but any person.

> available, *many* can build ships with that drive.  This is called
> "competition" and is generally thought to be a Good Thing for the
> public, if not for would-be monopolists.

I was not talking about that, strange that you draw this from my
simple example ;-)

> > You should better think about a world in which the inventor/creator
> > or how ever you call him gets a fair revenue, instead about a world
> > in which a "customer" gets a free(in beer) access to inventions.
>
> So we do.  See http://www.opensource.org/for-suits.html .

Well, 50% of the arguments on that paper are wrong or very narrow
minded.

Most propritary software organizations are on CMM level 1.
The same is true for open source software and free software.
In terms of effort put into the software and return of investment
most OS and FS software performs very bad. Much more bad then
most a standard priprietary software house.
(there are exceptions: namely Apache and ANTLR)

Most of the business models mentioned there would not work if
OS or FS would not allready exist.

They only can work because millions of developer monthes are
allready DONE. Most of them unpayd.

So the real winners are the compayies which say: "Well, I'm
smart, I know linux. Lets go and do some consulting."
(substitute linux with your favorite OS/FS work) And all this
companies do not pay anything back to anybody. Neither
the public nor the creator. (Besides paying sales tax)

Of course the real winners are companies which now can sell
hardware for linux boxes. Those have a benfit in OS development.
(again substitute 'linux box' for any OS/FS work which can be
a base for a product on top of it)

> > The point with most free software promotors is that they only see
> > the US and their strange copyright law and patent law.
> > The rest of the world is very different.
>
> Nonsense.  The U.S. has been changing its copyright laws since 1976

Well,
I commented on that but I do again.

> to come into *conformity* with the rest of the world, specifically
> including the EU.

In the EU it is impossible to transfer a copyright.

QED.

And it even goes farer, now we are close to a change which
makes contracts which want the creator to surrender his rights
void.

> --
> John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
> "[O]n the whole I'd rather make love than shoot guns [...]"
>         --Eric Raymond

Regards,
   Angelo

P.S. if one would read what I write it would be more fun to discuss ...

Please support a software patent free EU, visit
                             http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         Angelo.Schneider at oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks          Fon: +49 721 9812465
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Fax: +49 721 9812467