Plan 9 license

Richard Stallman rms at santafe.edu
Sun Sep 3 04:56:33 UTC 2000

    Which is way I also dislike the terms "slavery", "subjugation" and
    "domination" in reference to closed source software. These terms also
    have polemical associations with evil and violence. If one metaphor is
    wrong, then so is the other.

I have little to say about closed-source software because I do not
participate in the Open Source Movement.  I have opinions about
free software and non-free software.  The category of open source
overlaps both of them.

I use the terms "subjugation" and "domination" to describe non-free
software.  These are not metaphors; they are descriptions which fit
non-free software.  I also use metaphors such as "chains".  But I do
not describe non-free software as "slavery", since that term seems
like an exaggeration.  The subjugation which non-free software
inflicts does not cover all of life, as slavery does, just one aspect
of life.

All these phrases express an ethical judgement of non-free software.
Calling unauthorized copying "piracy" also expresses an ethical
judgement: one that supports domination by the owners of software.  It
is right and proper for people to take positions on ethical issues.
It is because of the position ESR stands for that I say "Shame!"