OpenSales -- DRAFT developers agreement

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Sep 1 04:39:20 UTC 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Our intent is that this is possible for you.  The concern is that the
> original grant under GPL not be revocable.  What the original author
> does in subsequent distributions or with subsequent derivatios of their
> own work (independent of any additional code of OpenSales or other
> authors) is not meant to be encumbered.  If language should be clarified
> or modified to this extent, please offer your suggestions.

As I understand it, the license cannot be revoked on public GPLd code.
Once you get the GPLd contribution, your copy is always under the GPL
as long as you follow the terms and conditions. Even if the original
author re-releases it under another license or assigns the copyright
away, your copy is still under the GPL.

I would change it to a simple notice that OpenSales only accepts
GPLd contributions, that there will be no compensation, and your
liability disclaimer. Anything beyond this is superflous based on your
above intentions. After all, it is the contributor that is licensing the
code to you, and not the other way around. There is no need for an
additional agreement, license or contract beyond the license of the code
in question. Parts of section 4 (Your Representations and Warranties)
of your agreement might be useful for you, but you can always sue for
misrepresentation with or without them.

--
David Johnson