Nupedia Open Content License

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Oct 30 17:37:53 UTC 2000

"Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M." wrote:

> A point of clarification on fair use. "Fair use" is based on copyright.

Quite so.  As you know (or should have known :-) ), I hold that an
open-source license can only grant away the rights that the copyright owner
gets from the applicable copyright law, consequently ...

> Hence, the license may control uses that would otherwise be deemed fair uses
> under the default rules of copyright.

... I deny this, since open-source licenses may not control use at all.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com