Free documentation licenses

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Nov 29 14:25:23 UTC 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Nelson Rush wrote:

> The GPL shouldn't be used for documentation, it is intended for use with
> software. I think RMS one time agreed with me on this when it came up in one
> of my other projects. Which is why he created the FDL, which is specifically
> designed for documentation.

Be that as it may, if you publish a book which contains full source with
detailed commentary (like the TeX and METAFONT sourcebooks or the
Lions Book), the book is going to be a derivative work of the
program.  Do you suppose that if you got ahold of the Windows
source code and published it in such a book that Microsoft wouldn't
scream "Copyright violation!", and rightly so?

What is, or is not, a derivative work is a matter for the law
(ultimately, the courts), not the wording of any license, and the
GPL goes out of its way to say so.

Very simply:

	book containing full source is a derivative work of the source
	source is under the GPL
	GPL says derivative works must be under the GPL too
	book can only be published under the GPL

None of this applies to a book that merely comments on the program,
or uses at most fair-use excerpts from it, like the Linux kernel book.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter