Free documentation licenses

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Nov 29 05:41:25 UTC 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> At work, I've tried to explain the matter by saying it's best to think
> of a composite work as not _having_ a licence, per se:  The individual
> modules bear licences.  The resulting composite, then, either is or is not
> legally distributable, depending on how those licence terms interact.

Well, that's not the whole truth either.  I could take a bunch of
BSD modules, create a derivative work, and license the result under
the GPL.  Or under a proprietary license, for that matter.

Of course, this is somewhat pointless, since you could do exactly
the same thing with the same modules and license it under a different
license.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter