Free documentation licenses

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Nov 28 23:01:50 UTC 2000

On Tuesday 28 November 2000 02:26 pm, John Cowan wrote:

> If the software were GPL and the doco BSD, then if anyone rewrote the
> doco for greater clarity or some such, then he would be able to make
> the improved version proprietary and prevent it from being distributed
> with current or future releases of the program.

As long as the original documentation is available, I don't think it makes
much of a difference (depending on the wishes of the author, of course). To
take a specific example, a "proprietary" SAMS or IDG manual on emacs does not
limit the emacs software in any way. A proprietarized derivitive would
likewise have no effect on the emacs software, though RMS would be upset over
it for other reasons.

--
David Johnson