"Open Source" Motif

Raul Miller moth at debian.org
Tue May 16 14:59:19 UTC 2000

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 02:32:21PM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> Due to the fact that the GPL is according to RMS incompatible to
> anything except itself dual licensing with GPL leads unfortunately to
> the fragmentation of development.

That concept should be irrelevant for something like Motif.  The advantage
of Motif is that it's a standard.  Development forks which are not the
standard (and, therefore, not available under both licenses) should
be no more significant than applications which use Motif (for example,
such applications might use arbitrary third-party licenses).

On the other hand, if the goal is to get Motif adopted by some other group
(for example, the X consortium), then I can see the value of adopting
whatever license that group mandates.

Getting another group to adopt Motif might be a good idea if the standard
would otherwise not be improved over time.

--
Raul