"Open Source" Motif

Raul Miller moth at debian.org
Tue May 16 11:22:29 UTC 2000

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 10:33:58AM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> Well, according to my experience people (of all countries/cultures) I
> have been talking to seem to understand the QPL much better than the
> GPL. BSD seems to be the simpliest.

I don't know about the QPL being easier to understand than the GPL.

I agree that the BSD seems simpler -- just based on word count.

But, if you're trying to produce free (aka non-proprietary) software I
think the GPL winds up being the best license:  The one that will suffer
the fewest chances of being ripped off by someone who wants to turn it
into something non-free (proprietary).

Then again, if your goal is to produce something proprietary, or
potentially proprietary, the GPL is obviously a bad license to use.

[I think it's most useful to speak about how well a license achieves
an end.  Licenses, after all, are legal documents: not poetry, not
fiction, not howtos, not faqs, etc.]

--
Raul