Using GPL'd software in BSD-licensed app

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Thu May 11 04:29:23 UTC 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, David Johnson wrote:
> If the GPLd code is compiled along with the rest of your stuff, then
> the rest of your stuff needs to be GPL as well. If it can be compiled
> into a separate library, then it could be used *provided* that there is
> a functionally equivalent alternative available elsewhere in existance.

It should be noted that this claim is highly controversial.  I, for one, don't
buy it.  It would mean that, for instance, if you make a program that only
runs under Microsoft Windows and dynamically links Windows libraries, it is a
derivative of Windows and Microsoft can legally prevent you from selling it.

(I wrote to RMS.  He confirmed this, though he did suggest that Microsoft
probably doesn't do it because they want people to buy Windows.)