Eiffel Forum License

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue May 2 01:47:55 UTC 2000

You are correct. I sometimes refer to the GNU GPL and other times mean
public licenses, generally. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I think the GNU
GPL is enforceable, although it may need revision in light of UCITA. There
are other public licenses that have picked over the GNU GPL's language to
their detriment. Some of them are not as likely to withstand judicial
scrutiny. The copyleft provisions that Stallman favors add more teeth to the
GNU GPL than he likes to admit. Although copyleft has a viral nature that
is, indeed, problematic, it is a strong copyright restriction (Yes,
copyRIGHT) that offers the FSF both a potential breach of contract claim AND
a copyright infringement claim.

Rod