The position RMS takes...

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Wed Mar 29 12:05:01 UTC 2000

I agree. RMS is using language in an atypical manner so it's tricky to grasp
what he is saying upon a first reading. RMS has told me he is not in favor
of de-linking copyright from software. In other words, copyleft is in fact
an alternative version of copyright.  RMS told me he does not support some
of the conclusions I have made in an article on copyright and copyleft that
will be published in the Columbia Science and Technology Law Review. His
primary objection seems to be that although software needs to be free, free
software needs the property protections of copyright. I think his argument
is not circular (even though it appears to be), but it is not revolutionary
either.

Rod