can GPL apply to more than source and object code?

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Mar 25 23:59:02 UTC 2000

Yes, there is a good discussion on the link you provided.

My soapbox: I would add that many of these licenses do not seem to
appreciate nuances in language that a judge may find awfully important. The
"kludge" factor comes from copying the content of other licenses without an
appreciation for the legal significance of certain words. Having said that,
I am not suggesting that every license must be drafted from scratch by a
lawyer. When someone refers you to a license for your own use, read the
words carefully and do not use words you do not understand. Ask someone. I
strongly suggest this because I think it would be quite depresssing to see
the open source movement weakened because too many of the very licenses the
movement relies upon had been poorly drafted.

My point: Copyright protects original WORKS of authorship. Computer software
programs are subject to copyright protection. One aspect of a computer
program (often referred to as the literal aspect) is the source code and
object code. The Work is the program, which may include graphics, song and a
number of other non-literal aspects. Consequently, the license should make
it clear what is included in the work. I think the "kludge" factor arose
because some developers were not clear about this in their prior licenses.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org