"Violation"

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Mar 25 03:24:32 UTC 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:

> I am sorry, but these assertions are incorrect. Have you ever rented a car,
> purchased an airline ticket, acquired a credit card, or undertaken a number
> of transactions in modern life where you assent to the terms of a contract
> (call it a license if you want) that you did NOT negotiate.

In all of those case I either signed a form, a sales slip, shook hands,
or verbally said yes face to face with someone. With the GPL I did not
of the above. Neither did I "click" yes in any web page or dialog box,
or even anything so trivial as register for a registration key.

To the courts the GPL may be the same thing as a contract, but to the
user of GPL software, it is not.

--
David Johnson...