"Violation"

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Mar 25 02:04:04 UTC 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
> Agreed. The difficulty, however, is that when something is added to the
> public domain (which is becoming more and more difficult), anyone can scoop
> it back out.

You can "scoop" as much as you want out of the public domain, but it
will still be there. Certainly someone could come along and use my
public domain progam within their closed source software. They can put
whatever copyrights and restrictions they want on it. But the original
software is still there in the public domain.

By putting a work into the public domain, you no longer have the
property rights to restrict its usage in ways you disagree with. Only
an owner can do that. In my mind, placing software under the GPL, or
any other OSS license, is an explicit statement of ownership by both
word and deed.

--
David Johnson...