MPL + an amendment (trying to guide a non-standard markup format)

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Mar 24 03:10:55 UTC 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Michael Powers wrote:

> 3DML is not a standard format like VRML or HTML. It is a tag format we
> developed. The last thing I want to see is the modification of the current
> tags or random addition of hundreds of new tags that most players will not
> understand. The MPL license enables this kind of growth and confusion of
> tags, file extensions and MIME types. Has anyone run into this before? The
> problem seems to be addressed more by the Artistic License than the MPL
> license. I tried to incorporate the appropriate clause from the Artistic
> License into an Amendment to the MPL license - and called in the Flatland
> Public License.

I am assuming that you are amenable to people extending your work
so long as they do not use the name 3DML. How about trademarking
"3DML"? IANAL, but it seems to me that you could use the trademark to
prevent pieces of code from calling themselves 3DML files if they don't
use the standard tags.

--
David Johnson...