Again - How To Break The GPL

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Thu Mar 23 01:02:06 UTC 2000

[This is not legal advice.]

Interesting scenario, but I do not see a problem with a two-month delay
under the GPL. Since the GNU-GPL does not require immediate release of the
source code, a two-month delay would not violate the literal terms of the
GPL. The GPL is not intended to foreclose competitive use of modifications,
rather, it is intended to ensure that those modifications (when made to an
open source or free program) remain free (or open). Of course, if the delay
in release of modified source code is substantial or does not follow upon
request, then that action may violate the GPL.(You might ask, WHERE TO DRAW
THE LINE? Well, I do not know, but two months is not substantial)

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org