Is it possible to sue infringers under the GPL?

David Johnson arandir at meer.net
Sat Mar 11 03:06:30 UTC 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, John Cowan wrote:

> IANAL, but I think you can treat that as a constructive license, since a
> non-exclusive copyright license need not be in writing.  Of course, adding the
> patcher's name to the contributors list is a matter of civility, not law.

Of course I didn't mean to be uncivil :-) I was thinking more on terms of
having a free software package with some contributed patches within, then
deciding to release a version of it under a different license. I wondered if
such a scenario would land me in court or not. Of course, the prudent thing
would be to acquire rights and/or permission from the contributor.

--
David Johnson...