Should governmnet software be Open Source?

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Mar 8 19:39:22 UTC 2000

OK, now, to counter that viewpoint.

What license should they use? There are many who argue philosophically
(for|against) the GPL, BSD license, Perl Artistic License, etc.   If the
gov't uses one of those licenses, they are choosing a set of philosophical
values YOU, the end user, have to accept in order to use the source code.

I'm sorry that I'd HAVE to disagree. Public Domain *IS* where gov't code
belongs.

[playing devils advocate here]

The gov't has no right to put conditions-of-use on the source code the
tax-dollars paid for. If I take Widget-Software-1.0, and I make some REALLY
NEAT changes to it, you don't have some legal right to those changes just
because I'm better at fixing gov't code than you are. If you want to take
the PD-Gov't-Code and make yourself something and release it as Open
Source, that's YOUR privilege and right to do so. The Gov't, however, has
no business telling me that if *I* want to use the code (which my taxes
also paid for) that I have to agree to give MY (later) work away for free.

Everyone has an equal right to exploit the taxpayer-produced resource. You
can take it modify it and give it away if you like, and Evil Company take
it modify it and sell it for thousands of dollars.  For the government to
do OTHERWISE is an unfair restraint-of-trade on Evil Company.

Think of it like the Interstates... you're free to use the interstate to
run a non-profit bus company helping elderly people to and from their
friends' houses. I'm also free to use the interstate to drive my taxi cab
on, charging people for the service of taking them from one location to the
other. Both are valid uses. If the gov't was to come along and say "ONLY
people who are willing to help others for free can use the interstates",
you would have a big problem with that, I think (and so would I).