Looking to learn more about "EXCEPTIONS" -- gnu style

David Starner dvdeug at x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu
Wed Mar 8 06:24:21 UTC 2000

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 09:33:15PM -0800, David Johnson wrote:
> I still wonder why the Linux kernel is GPL+exception, instead of being LGPL.

Because the exception is arguably just a clarification. Most people
(including, I believe, Linus and RMS) believe that a kernel call is just
normal use and is not linking. The clarification is just to make it clear
to all and sundry from the start.

> As for other exceptions, I have not seen any, though I have seen one that had a
> "clarification".

GNAT has a exception on the runtime library (you can distribute the binary
however you want, but the source is GPL), Guile has the same license but
with a different wording, LyX (which is not a GNU program) has a clarification/
exception that's worth reading.

David Starner - dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with
square brackets. But that's what mathematicians are.
   -- Dr. Burchard, math professor at OSU