How To Break The GPL

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Mar 7 06:30:28 UTC 2000

Interesting trick. A type of recursive code-fork. Although the examples are
not derivative works because they are not original, I am sure software
example could be.  If the code is inseparable from the freedoms (copyleft),
then Alice's modification of T' (in step 1) travels with the work, if there
is ANY distribution whatsoever. There is not an easy way to get around this
copylef requirement; that's why it is so effective.

As for step 2, document A is an instruction that is not subject to
copyright. In other words, Alice has not created anything. (Her restrictive
license lacks consideration since there is no work that runs with it. Hence,
it has no legal effect).  Alice is just offering directions, and possibly
inducing others to either infringe Trent's work or breach his license, which
is a no-no. Hence, she has not broken the chain to Trent's work. I think
this version of the hypo is too far removed from copyrightable works to help
us with the other hypo.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org