How To Break The GPL

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sun Mar 5 01:48:30 UTC 2000

The confusion regarding a "derivative work" could be cleared up by reference
to the Copyright Act. Some people have been confusing distinct concepts of
copyright law, which sets out five exclusive rights of the copyright owner;
notably, the exclusive rights to control the creation of derivative works
and to control the distribution of those works are two of  them. Even if we
agree that Alice did not violate Trent's exclusive right to control the
creation of derivative works, it is an entirely  different question whether
Alice violated the distribution terms of the GPL. I have assumed the GPL was
a GNU-type GPL that contained a copyleft provision. If this is so, and if
Alice's source code looks substantially like Trent's code, Trent will
likely prevail on the merits (IF, and this is another big IF, the source
code reveals to the court that it contained expression subject to copyright
protection. This determination is made after the application of the
idea/expression dichotomy and/or the abstraction-filtration test. In other
words, the legal analysis here gets quite involved and perhaps beyond the
interests of this discussion thread).

Full Disclosure: just in case Alice is real, I should make it clear that I
am not offering legal advice, only commentary and contribution to a very
interesting discussion. Open source interests me because I am a law school
professor who teaches and does research in Cyberlaw.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org