RMS on Plan 9 license, with my comments

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Jul 23 17:45:21 UTC 2000

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Matthew C. Weigel wrote:

> But there is, potentially, a difference -- someone can take you to court
> over whether your fee was 'reasonable.' The GPL has no such limits:

The clause in question does not state that Lucent gets to decide what
is "reasonable". For all intents and purposes, if a buyer and a sell
agree on a price, it is reasonable. As such, it is a meaningless
adjective.

On the other hand, to be nit-picky about it, the GPL only allows you to
charge for transferring a copy, or for supplying a warranty. I can't
sell the copy itself, nor can I charge for the media.

 --
David Johnson