prohibiting use that would result in death or personal injury

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 22 18:28:35 UTC 2000

begin  Derek J. Balling quotation:

> It is obvious now, that any product using the GPL has opened its
> owner up to liability in the case you've described, and I don't see
> the GPL actually getting changed in this regard (it seems it would go
> against RMS's moral code for it, and I can acknowledge that side of
> the argument).
>
> No clear-cut answers here, but I think the problem is actually much
> more insidious than you realized. :)

GPL clauses 11 & 12 ("NO WARRANTY") attempt to avert this problem.

Nothing prevents some court from imputing liability despite that --
but one cannot absolutely prevent courts from doing perverse things,
only discourage it.

--
Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."