Plan 9 license

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Jul 22 06:49:08 UTC 2000

It's not exactly the clearest open source license, but it seems to cover the
pertinent points.

I do think David makes a very good point. Although provisions like sections
6.1(i) and 6.1(ii) are not unusual for non-mass market software licenses,
they do not seem to meet the spirit of an open source license. (Of course,
it would not be in the spririt of open source to bring such a lawsuit
either, but the restriction is what we may be concerned about, here). Even
if section 6.1 did not really bother anyone as a general matter, David's
point is correct that the language is so broad that it does not limit its
reach to the subject matter of the license. I would recommend that Lucent
consider making their intent more clear under section 6.1.

Rod
Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University School of Law - Camden
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org