Open Information

InfoNuovo at cs.com InfoNuovo at cs.com
Thu Jan 13 17:52:41 UTC 2000

I notice that the Open Information Definition material is on the lines of
the OSD -- a set of criteria for what constitutes an acceptable Open
Information License.  Thank you for taking that approach.
    The proposed Open Content License offers a specific model
(http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).  It has options which fail to satisfy
the OSD criteria (i.e., requiring additional permissions -- new licenses --
to make derivative works, and prohibition of commercial print publication).
At the same time, a number of their terms are nicely stated and very clear,
especially concerning artistic elements.  I think a coordinated approach
that first obtains acceptable criteria (an OID) would be very valuable.
    I recommend that the Open Source Writers Group (OSWG) also be consulted:
http://www.oswg.org/.  They have a license definition that also allows
restriction of derivative works (but don't limit republication/distribution,
commercial or otherwise).
    Because documents and data may often be packaged with or be part of a work
of software, I say it is important to honor the OSD criteria, extended to
the broader subject matter of documentation and information.  Otherwise, I
fear that developers of derivative works become hamstrung (or at least gun
shy) when facing the incoherent constraints of licenses for different
elements of the overall work.

-- Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
InfoNuovo