Hypothetical question...

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Feb 19 13:57:46 UTC 2000

Interesting question David! That is exactly the point of my article arguing
that source code should not be subject to copyright protection in the first
place. If you did not modify the source code subject to the GPL, then it
does not seem that the GPL is applicable. HOWEVER, your hypo sounds like a
strong argument for copyright infringement could be made. Under the right
circumstances, copyright law permits a copyright holder to argue:

your access to their source code == copying;

In other words, the irony of open source is that it is easier to prove
copyright infringement than it would be if the software were proprietary or
closed-source.
Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.

see When Efforts to Conceal May Actually Reveal:
Whether First Amendment Protection of Encryption Source Code and the OPEN
SOURCE MOVEMENT Support Re-drawing the Constitutional Line Between the First
Amendment and Copyright for Authors of Computer Software, if interested.
http://www.cyberspaces.org/Effortstoconceal.htm
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org