BSD / GPL compatibility

David Johnson arandir at meer.net
Thu Feb 17 03:58:33 UTC 2000

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, John Cowan wrote:

> You must include the *text* of the license, but the derived work
> as a whole may be licensed under any license, including a
> proprietary one.  Commercial X servers are closed-source, but
> incorporate vast amounts of code under the MIT license.

The user will certainly interpret the text of the license as being a license.
The way I see it, you can include BSD or MIT code in your alter-licensed
product, and then license the whole/package/collection under the alter-license.
But each file originally licensed under BSD or MIT is still licensed that way.

Think of the book "Open Sources". It is copyright by O'Reilly. However, many
individual articles in it retain their own copyright.

--
Arandir...