BSD / GPL compatibility

Martin Konold konold at alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Feb 15 21:31:35 UTC 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Ian Grigg wrote:

> >         It's all a matter of derived work.  Some may say that using
> > chunks of BSD code in a GPLed work is "fair use".
>
> OK, so does the same apply in reverse?  I guess it does, so
> I can take any part of a GPLed work and shove it into my code
> and distrubute it as BSD.

No, this is not possible. While programs distributed under the GPL may use
BSD (minux advertising clause) code the reverse does not apply. The GPL is
viral in this situation.

Yours,
 -- martin

// Martin Konold, Stauffenbergstr. 107, 72074 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  The most advanced GUI for a reliable OS.