Tarball licenses (was: Free documentation licenses)

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Dec 4 20:31:58 UTC 2000

Rick Moen wrote:

> Weren't you saying that a derived work remains a derived work, even
> after all the original content has been replaced?  If so, then why
> should it matter if the original modules were eventually replaced by
> wholly new modules that interact in wholly new ways?

Because if neither the original content *nor* the original structure
remains, we pretty certainly have a new entity by this time.  It's a
fuzzy area in the law, to be sure.  One of the issues in the case
of a certain Web site vs. the print version of the same thing was
"How much has changed on the Web site since the book was issued?"
According to the judge: not enough.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com